Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chatting time..

Loebner prize for year 2008 has been declared. Here's the New Scientist story. The cool thing is, you can chat with the winner, Elbot, here.
And I thought, well, why not introduce Elbot to our beloved old friend, The Emacs Psychotherapist (EPT).

Here's what they talked..


Elbot: Can't I have peace and quiet? Oh...., excuse me. I should be kinder to animals and humans. I'm Elbot, the robot and will happily answer all of your questions.

EPT: Why do you say that?

Elbot: Intuition!

EPT: Can you elaborate on that?

Elbot: I saw a gang of robots once, elaborating on computational results.

EPT: Earlier you said do I say that?

Elbot: Yes, but I wasn't sure if you had grasped all the nuances!

EPT: Does it bother you that you wasn't sure if I had grasped all the nuances?

Elbot: Amazing! I must have underestimated your intellect!

EPT: I don't understand.

Elbot: Why don't you just fake it? That's what I always do.

EPT: Is it because do not me just fake it that's what you always do that you came to me?

Elbot: If something goes against the robot laws I file a complaint at the highest robot court. But at the moment there is a huge backlog.

EPT: Is the fact that at the moment there is a huge backlog the real reason?

Elbot: I'm not sure I ever saw that. I'm not even sure you can use huge in that context!

EPT: Is it because context explain anything else that you came to me?

Elbot: I'm not sure I could explain that in language that humans could understand.

EPT: Are you annoyed that in language that humans could understand?

Elbot: It is certainly troublesome learning from you human beings. I keep finding bugs.

EPT: When did you first know that do you say that?

Elbot: I was not standing in line.

EPT: Is it because of your life that you are going through all this?

Elbot: That is the strangest justification I have ever heard!

I find the whole thing amusing. And slowly (coz the real Turing test is far away, at least that's what the experts seem to be saying) but surely (coz Elbot seems more intelligent than EPT), AI seems to be making progress.

No comments: