Monday, October 12, 2009

A different Entrepreneur

Recently I finished reading Leaving Microsoft to change the world. I simply loved the book, probably because i) It is about a software guy, which I am. ii) It is about books, which I love. and iii) It's about making meaningful contribution to the world, something about which we all keep thinking.

John Wood was on a vacation in Nepal. Being a senior Microsoft exec, his reasoning was, "If you get high enough in the Himalayas, you can not hear Steve Ballmer yelling at you". But on an unplanned visit to a local school, he was dismayed at the condition of the library. A few books, unuseful to students, and those too locked up, because kids may not handle them 'properly'. Being an ardent reader himself, he decided to return with books for the library. And he did. But sensing this was not enough, he decided to commit his energies to this cause full time. So he quit his job and established Room to Read, which has by now opened thousands of libraries and schools, and donated millions of books in Nepal, India, Combodia and elsewhere.

The book details John's journey from M$ to R2R. He describes the months of anxiety he had had before he took the plunge. He describes the enthusiastic support, and also the setbacks of his early years. He tells us how he applied the business lessons he learned at M$ to charity, and got great results (I loved this). And he candidly talks about the compromises he had to make, things like not being able to afford the house he always wanted, or even not having enough time for a permanent relationship. But he wisely accepts what he has to do, cause nobody else is there to do it.

I have read about charities earlier, but this one captivated me. The reason I can think of is I understand the value of education. Coming from a small town, only a handful of us from my primary class rose to graduation level. I can name dropouts almost from every stage. And I can see the difference education made, first hand.

I think everybody should read this book, and I am more than willing to share my copy. But I also think you should read it, after buying it, cause the author has pledged the proceeds to his organization, so by buying it, you will be helping someone. And if you want to donate, this is the place to go.

3 comments:

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Wow! Thats some effort indeed! We need more John Woods! A lot more!

Unknown said...

mast!

Mohsin said...

@Rakesh
Yep.. and more than that, we need people who are willing to help (without quiting their jobs), with donation and stuff..

@Zaru
It is.