Sunday, June 7, 2009

Why do people leave?

Well the title appears a bit misleading to me now that I have written it. That question might not have a satisfactory answer, and I don't feel qualified enough to tackle it, but what I actually have in mind is a very specific instance of that question, why do people leave blogging? I am not talking about people who did not quite get started, and their one or two posts stand there to pay testimony to this fact. I am talking about good bloggers (at least in my opinion), who had interesting things to share and readers to prove this, but consciously decided to quit at some point in time. The question popped in my mind while reading Stevey's latest post. His blog is very popular and I enjoy it, but he's about to leave. And let's not forget that it was his post, why you should write blogs that encouraged many, many to write their first post. And he's not alone. In my short life as a blogger, I've seen this happening more often than once. So what is it? Does it take too much energy, or you run out of things to share? Both of these reasons seem unlikely to me, but they might be true. Or is it that after a certain stage blogging starts turning into an obsession, interfering with the way we experience the world? (this was related to me by a friend, xkcd is as always helpful in making the point). Or is it that you lose interest, stop seeing the point, in a way? But if so, why? Or is their some other reason that I am too naive to see right now? I don't know. Myabe I will find out one day. But another question now pops into my mind, will the feel-like-leaving thingy ever happen to me?

4 comments:

Rakesh Vanamali said...

I wonder why, despite blogging being such a source of unparalleled pleasure! I certainly will not! And as I write out this comment, I wanna tell you that I've stared another blog! Such is the interest!

And well, that feel-like-leaving thingy better not happen!

Mohsin said...

Cool.. I can see my GPQ (geopolitics quotient) rising.. :)
And me too wish that it better not happen, but who knows..

Unknown said...

hehe...u were supposed to stop blogging right..? :P

it depends frm person to person... Some see blogs as sharing personal experiences and/or sharing knowledge. Some see blogs as a way of expressing their feelings..(it may or may not impart any knowledge)... In the former case, one could stop writing if they feel they dnt hav any thing to share via their blogs...knowledge could be shared in other ways too... so maybe..they could stop..

anyway...this comment is getting longer than my posts..i better stop..:)

Mohsin said...

Well I convinced myself otherwise as you can see :p (which might not be considered that good a thing :p)
and yes, you have a point, plus for someone treating the blog as an emotional outlet, the utility might decrease/go away..