Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Some idle comments

I became a Jeffrey Archer fan relatively recently. Thirty seven days ago, to be precise. And all this time I have not been idle, despite what impression you might have :p. I have been trying to read some of JA's work and what follws are some idle comments about what's gone so far..

The first book I read was Paths of Glory. It came on the back of a lot of non fiction, and the simplicity of the story appealed to me. But some plots appeared overdramatic, which constantly remind you that it is fiction.

Next I read Prisoner of Birth. I had heard mixed reviews about it, and so thought a bit before starting it; an exercise I rarely do. But the reviews were justified. It's a good book, may not be JA's best. And I think the book has everything a Bollywood movie needs, is story me emotion hai, action hai, drama hai.. (Ok action thoda kam hai, par chalega). The plot development is good, especially the courtroom sequences. I found the pace lacking in some places though.

Next came Not a penny more, Not a penny less which I finished yesterday. Reviews in this case were unanimous and raving. The thing I liked most is the pace. It continiously keeps you on your toes. And the hero is a mathematician, now that happens rarely :p. And if a Bollywood can be made on POB, there is a Marathi movie based on the this one. Aamhi sare sajjan, starring Prashant Damle. The movie even has something about how the heroes return the money ;-). It also appeared to be the most well researched of the lot.

Next on my list is Kane and Abel, for which again, I have heard much praise. But maybe not immediately..


[Thanks to Abhishek for sharing POB. Thanks to Zarin for sharing NAPMNAPL.]

5 comments:

Salil said...

Saarech Sajjan is actually a good adaptation where some of the plot was retained. Except that they had 3 heroes instead of 4.

Pappul said...

Khosla Ka Ghosla is based on NAPMNAPL ... !!

Unknown said...

always welcome...:)

yea..i've also started reading his books..and I dnt get the reviews first..if u wanna read em..read all of em..is wat i believe..:)

Mohsin said...

@Salil
Did I get the movie name wrong? My bad. Yes there're 3 heroes, and yes it was good movie..

@Pappul
Thodi similarities hai, lekin 4 heroes aur har ek ka ek plan ke jagah there's one hero aur usake 4 plans.. nX1 ka 1Xn kar diya.. han lekin wo movie bhi mast thi..

@Zaru
han reviews bias kar sakte..

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Kane & Abel is a must read!