Friday, March 27, 2009

Who watches the Watchmen..

Well, I haven't watched the movie yet, but finished reading the book recently. First graphic novel I read. And I think I should read more of those. The beginning is awesome, but the book loses some steam in the middle, thankfully, picks up again towards the end. The artwork is visually striking and blends superbly well with the narration. There are many interesting subplots, the one I liked best is Rorschach and the psychoanalyst. Yes, Rorschach. If I had to name the hero of this novel, I would say Rorschach. A very carefully developed character. The authors have given ample attention to the psych profiles of other characters too. Each represents a different attitude towards life. And in the end, they leave you wondering, who is right? Is it Rorschach or Daniel? Or the Comedian? I don't think there is a straightforward answer to it.

Go ahead, give it a try. It's totally worth your time. Many memorable lines are scattered throughout the book, especially from Rorschach, here is my favorite,

"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being a comedian is the only sane thing to do."
-The Comedian

Enjoy!!

[Many thanks to Vinaya for sharing the book].

12 comments:

Charuta said...

Hmm..Vinaya se leni padegi...
and would like to extend the line..
"Once you realize how pointless everything is, being Sarcastic is the only sane thing to do" :D

Mohsin said...

mast ahe.. try kar..
ani original line !!
naye sal ki sahi shuruat :)

Rakesh Vanamali said...

I have to get my hands on the book and also watch the movie!

Mohsin said...

yep me too waiting for the movie..
get the book.. really good..

vinaya said...

Yay for graphic novels! I too have recently discovered that they can be awesome. Although if i'm being completely honest, the artwork distracts me sometimes. Esp in Batman books. I know it has to be dark and gloomy, but why does have to be dark and gloomy?

I remain silent on Watchmen. It was... nice, but the earth didnt move.

Mohsin said...

haven't read Batman, but w/o dark and gloomy it won't be Batman, right? :p

vivek said...

Loved the line....:)

Mohsin said...

:p
you'll the book too.. give it a try..

Unknown said...

yeah nice line...

like charuta's line too...sarcasm rocks..:D

Mohsin said...

absolutely.. :p

Charuta said...

10 comments!! WOW!! here comes the 11th :P

Mohsin said...

thank you.. thank you..
(Could've said this on YM, but as I rule I ALWAYS reply to comments :p)
[now it's 12, my career best :)]