Tuesday, July 8, 2008

It's about living..

We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.
-Randy Pausch
If you can dream it, you can do it.
-Walt Disney
I do not believe in a no win scenario.
-Captain Kirk, Star Wars

I recently finished reading 'The last lecture' by Randy Pausch. And I am moved, I must say. Randy, a CMU professor, was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer in 2006. The book is about his last lecture. Randy talks about how he realized his childhood dreams (like flying in 0g and becoming a Disney Imagineer) and helped others realize their dreams. Through simple stories he offers invaluable lessons, with his courage and integrity shining throughout. It's an amazing inspiration to see this guy embracing life with all his might (and introspecting on what I am doing). As Randy puts it, it's not really about dying, it's about living. His scientific approach towards the disease, his conscious efforts to leave a personal and professional legacy, his courageous embrace of the inevitable..

I can go on and on, but I really don't think I can tell you just how good the book is. Grab it at first chance. Whatever it is we do, whatever our interests, we can never stop learning from it.


No comments: