Monday, May 19, 2008

Reminiscences of a seminar..

We have a small group around here which meets (quite informally) every Monday and one of the guys gives a seminar. The topic can be anything, a couple of examples are 'Global Warming' and 'Doing a Startup'. Now when it was my turn (which means today), I chose a mathematical topic (like I am a mathematician, but I said, no no cut that, I emphasized IANAM in the very beginning). What I wanted to convey was the remarkable unity of mathematics, through Euler's famous formula,
by tracking the historical development of 'e', 'pi', 'i' and '0' by many different mathematicians/scientists and over a period spanning millenia, culminating in the discovery of the above formula by Euler in 18th century. The concepts which originated for a variety of reasons were later found to be connected by this beautiful formula (Which RPF cited as the most beautiful formula in mathematics).

I don't know how much I succeeded, I guess I rushed a bit towards the end. But here are a few lessons I learned (nothing new I guess)..
1. Prepare (I mean slides, not a scrap of paper which just idly sits in your pocket all the while).
2. Choose your topic wisely, e.g. mathematical topic = not many questions in the end (as opposed to say 'Startups').
3. Adjusting the whiteboard is an Art and a Science, work out the optimal angle in advance.
4. Add drama (this was a comment, I guess a whiteboard and my kind of handwriting does not add much to drama).
5. And most importantly, decide which marker you want to use (Red or Black) at least two days in advance (it's pretty funny to ask somebody in the audience).

But overall I guess it went through well, and I hope there was some kind of takeaway for everybody (I hope).

5 comments:

Salil said...

Check out how this guy gives his presentation:
http://identity20.com/media/OSCON2005/

A very unique style gathering popularity which you could try out in your seminar.

BTW, is your group open to all?

Mohsin said...

awesome presentation..(yes, for the style)..
as for the group, No, I am afraid, it's just a few of my colleagues..

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
emanish said...

There was no 'presentation' per say :). I mean with a faulty whiteboard and maths how long can you keep people from sleeping ;). Try a topic like indian politics next time where nobody knows anything but certainly would like to talk/hear abt it. and make it interesting !

I am _not_ saying your presentation was boring. :)

Mohsin said...

man it might be the case that ppl don't know abt politics but surely they won't admit it..
at least with math, they do :-)
plus i chose a topic close to my heart, politics is not in that list for sure..
(don't know why but i have now started feeling i bored u guys to death :-D)