Tuesday, May 13, 2008

hbl n d shrt msg srvc

A nice little article from physorg..
Dr Nigel Bannister from University of Leicester worked out that text messaging is more than four times expensive than downloading the same amount of data from Hubble. Now I for one will be rather happy to receive some cool supernova pics (from Hubble, no less) rather than all those stupid sms :-p (and it will save some money too, but does data in the above statement means pics? I don't think so). And if I appear anti-SMS now, let me admit of being something of a SMS-joke-fwd-addict in my engg. days.
According to wikipedia, The first SMS was sent over the Vodafone GSM network in the United Kingdom on 3 December 1992. Compare this with 43 billion text messages sent over 2007-08 new year period. What a growth in just 15 years!! But also bear in mind the amount of spam it contains!! I guess soon it will rival Email spam (with 100 billion spam messages a day),or maybe not, sending sms costs some money while sending Email is virtually free AFAIK. So what next?? Mobile spam filters, anyone??

2 comments:

Onkar said...

There are some stupid sites which allow to send sms free of cost. I actually hate when someone sends me spam sms than spam emails. I don't know why but for me, mobile is for urgent communication and each time I receive a sms, I expect there is something important in it, which doesn't happen with my email ( unless it's from my client or it's about code review :-D)

Mohsin said...

I too hate spam sms more than spam email, (maybe because it vibrates and makes a sound and successfully distracts me)