Friday, January 31, 2014

2001

2001 did not hit me with its full force the first time I read it. Probably, as befitted my relative youth, my seven-years younger self read it too hastily. It did happen when I reread it recently however.

In 1964, maverick director Stanley Kubrick was looking for ideas to make the 'proverbial good science fiction movie'. His collaboration with Arthur Clark, building upon the latter's short story 'The Sentinel' gave us 2001, the movie which has become a legend. But before they wrote the screenplay, they decided to let their imaginations soar freely by writing a novel first. And that gave us 2001, the novel which has become legend too. I can quite unhesitatingly say that if you have time for only one science fiction novel, make it this one.

Now that I am done with the book, I plan to watch the movie over the weekend, so expect a report soon. I must warn you though, it will most likely tend to sound fanboyish.

No comments: