Thursday, January 10, 2013

Unexciting Developments

Actually they are a little painful, so I will try to be done as soon as I can.

1. The landmark bookstore in camp (SGS mall) has transformed itself into something else. There is electronics, toys, sports gear, games, but apart from the a few trivial ones almost no books. It had been a savior these last four-five years, but now it is gone. The one in Phoenix still has some bones, but I am not sure for how long.

2. Manny's in camp closed down. I had found quite a few rare books there.

3. Try searching for a book on flipkart. Earlier, 'Books' used to be the topmost category. Now it is in some corner, lumped together with 'pens and stationary'. Wow.

I am not good with library schedules, a book might be a single night's affair but it takes months to find the appropriate night. Crossword always seems to pack only the best sellers (a category I fastidiously avoid), but given the state it seems to be the top choice. Life for serious book lovers in the city has gotten tougher. The only consolation is that I have built my personal library of some strength. But I will be missing wandering through the shelves and stumbling upon pleasant surprises.

2 comments:

Jagannath said...

Telling you, buy a kindle. Imagine sitting at home and browsing through catalogs, picking the book you like, buying it and start reading it.

Mohsin said...

I probably will.. But browsing on web is not as exciting as browsing for real..