Friday, February 11, 2011

Naturalist

A wonderful book I finished reading today, E.O.Wilson's autobiographical memoir, Naturalist. Wilson is world's leading myrmecologist (one who studies ants. You are welcome.), and a world class scientist who also has a gift for lucid prose. And you don't have to take my word for it; he has won Pulitzer, twice. The book is about his journey from a boy with a deep love for nature to a world class scientist and beyond. Wilson contributed to our understanding of many things insect, and in later years became an important conservation activist. The thing that I liked most was the simple, straightforward tone in which Wilson talks. He will say I did this, without mincing words. Excessive modesty is a burdern really. And he will say I did not see this, or felt insecure at this point, also without mincing words. Such writing touches the heart directly. His passion for his field shines throughout, and is something a young mind can learn a lot from. A genuinely good read, I think for everybody. I am glad that I joined the library where I found this book, because it is not seen in bookstores and I would certainly have missed it. Certainly worth rereading.

Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Thanks for sharing this! You are a reservoir of information!

Mohsin said...

Thanks buddy :)

Unknown said...

I second V Rakesh!
keep reading..n blogging...n sharing :)

Mohsin said...

:) Let me try..