Tuesday, June 29, 2010

An exercise in logic

Just finished reading Alfred Sloan's My years with General Motors. For those who don't know, Mr.Sloan was chief executive of GM from 1920s to 1950s, fundamental to the spectacular growth of GM in that era, and the book is his business autobiography. And a business biography it is through and through. Never once Mr.Sloan says I was happy or frustrated or sad, but he'll painstakingly explain the logic of his decisions. There is not a single reference to the events of his personal life, but there is a lot about evolution of GM, modeling of competition and market, design of employee benefit programs and so on, in a tone rational but not cold, humane yet detached. An intersting point, GM being the giant it was at that time, the general response to any crisis was 'I created a committee'. Only that (contrary to popular opinion), it seems to have worked. Of course some parts of the book went over my head, the book being (supposedly) aimed at professional managers, but having never really managed anything of value (including myself) , I was still able to enjoy (and hopefully learn from) it. Give it a try!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yea yea...logic n Mohsin go hand in hand :)
1 qs? things of value..including myself..? so u agree?

Mohsin said...

to what? ;-)

Unknown said...

lets take it offline ;)