Monday, February 18, 2008

Strike pe Strike, Counter Strike..

Last weekend had a particularly delightful beginning. After a heavy day of work on Friday (OK, stop laughing), we managed to pull off a CS session. Thanks to Lalit for persuading us and for the setup. I was touching CS after nearly three years but played so well that people were fighting to have me in their teams (OK, this is a bit of exaggeration, most probably a megabit of exaggeration).

But it filled my mind with my engg. day memories, when I used to play for 4-6 hours straight and the great pleasure of finishing UT2K4, Max Payne and COD. In fact, game testing was my first choice of career (once I got to know computers). Like every enthusiast, I dreamed of making my own games, and even learned a bit of 3DMAX, but the spell was short lived, most probably because new games won't run on my antique (by today's standards) machine.

MMORPGs and ARGs are big themes these days with many businesses spun around them (you can even trade linden dollars (currency in second life) for real dollars). Many relations are made and broken entirely in this virtual world. So where is it gonna end, in the Matrix? where everyone will be happy? And how are these virtual worlds different from our physical world? A virtual world a system built on rules (The Matrix) and so is our physical world (if the laws of physics control our consciousness and hence our actions too). So what does 'free will' mean in this situation? How do you define 'responsible behavior'?

Another thing I noticed was the proliferation of mods over the years (CS itself is a mod on Half Life engine). That looks very much similar to community developed patches to open source software to me. Is there a bigger pattern here?

OK, that is a long list of questions. Better I play another round of Tux Racer. Happy Gaming.

6 comments:

emanish said...

yeah "megabit of exag." good one :)

Mohsin said...

ab boss ki comment pe hum kya comment karenge :-)
anyways I am eagerly waiting for this week's session (with my 'New and Improved'(TM) skills..)

Ashwin said...

ur blogs always make a normal start ...but end in a typical "geek" way.
that makes them all the more difficult to read for non-geeks like me ...
hehhehe ..
kidding ;-)

neways... i ll try to answer ur fundoo question here :-p
"So what does 'free will' mean in this situation? How do you define 'responsible behavior'?"

b t w... i heard ur team lost all games to Lalit's team ? may be this will help u for the next CS session

responsible behavior in CS : Mohsin, don't shoot someone from ur team !! :-p


hehe :-P


hehehe :-P

Mohsin said...

hey u r not allowed to say that in public :-), though it is nearly true..
also after reading your fundoo answers, my questions do not look fundoo anymore..:-D

Mohsin said...

@ashwin
about the 'geek way', do you mean good or bad?

Ashwin said...

"about the 'geek way', do you mean good or bad?"
ofcourse good mann ... :-)