Monday, April 2, 2012

Counter Clock world

Counter clock world is one of the strangest I have ever been to. I was a little skeptical before beginning the journey; you see, The divine invasion had not made much of an impression on me. But this one increased my respect for Philip K Dick a lot.

Now about the strangeness. In this world, time has reversed itself, something called the Hobart Phase. The dead reform in their coffins, and knock and ask to be let out. There are businesses doing just that, selling the deaders (as they are called) to the highest bidder. People say 'Goodbye' when they pickup the phone, 'Hello' just before they hangup. 'Smoking' cigarette butts converts them to full length cigarettes. A religious leader is about to be reborn, and the story revolves around the consequences.

Despite the strangeness, the plot is quite plausibly developed and the narrative is fast paced. A good read, but probably only for 'serious' readers (but don't ask me to define that).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Everything is turning upside down! nice...i must *try* to read this one. (I know I am not a *serious* reader)

Mohsin said...

Give it a try..