Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Some lines from my Facebook profile..

'Don't click here' : this is on a button, guess what, the guy could have saved some html (or whatever)...
'What kind of drunk are you?' : too drunk to tell I guess..
'XYZ sent a request using werewolves/vampires/slayers' : man.. and I thought only pigeons are useful.. what next?? a 'vampire ja ja' song?? (cautionary note : non Hindi speakers might miss the last point..)
'Be a billionaire' : there is a rumor that only the site owner can click this..
'Find your inner superpower' : I have already found it, it's reading through a bunch of crap (and then blogging about it).

OK, OK, to be fair, I must admit that many of my friends enjoy all these applications (and it is one of the reasons why Facebook is so successful), but somehow I don't like all this clutter. I used to praise Orkut for its simplicity, but now they too have third party apps. It will be interesting to see how that ecosystem evolves. (On the other hand, Brooks warned us decades ago about the importance of maintaining the conceptual integrity of software projects.. but how to ensure it without restricting third party app/extension developers?).

3 comments:

emanish said...

I echo your thoughts. I find facebook cluttered too. But that is web2.0.
Talking about web2.0 and apps. There is afacebook app - scrable (scrabulous.com) designed by two young indian brothers. Their monthly revenue is 20K$. I think that innovation. Like i read swhere, innovation is not invention, but sits on top of that !

Onkar said...

I don't have facebook account and haven't used orkut since ages. Social networking sites I guess are quite famous initially but as time passes, interest gets reduced ( at least in my case). Maybe, it's because they are plenty in numbers these days.

Mohsin said...

@manish
but it feels like an overapplication of web 2.0.. As you pointed out on your blog, 'Simplicity is virtue that cannot be overemphasized', I truly agree with that..
but hey, that doesn't mean they are not innovative (and I'll try to give scrable a try..)

@onkar
that's kinda collective..
if ur frnds have lost interest, there is little you can do..(of course you can find new frnds, but these days you can't be sure..)something similar happened to our class community on orkut.. I guess I was the last one to lose interest..